Menu

Music

At St Bede's we have a vibrant and inclusive music department in which we want all students to enjoy and experience music both in lessons and as part of a large extra curricular programme. Music allows students to express themselves both individually and in a group and allows each person to develop many important skills useful for whatever they may do in their future. Music allows you to be creative and expressive, develop self discipline, independence and collaboration, tolerance to others, courage to perform, confidence and much more.

Music also has cross-curricular links to many other subjects such art, drama, history, RE, geography and citizenship to name a few; this is done in a variety of ways from writing song lyrics to learning about world music.

Studying music allows students to explore the music they love and experience new styles and genres from different times and different places.

Music is taught at Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4. Music and music tech are taught at Key Stage 5 (Sixth Form).

For more information about each key stage, please click on each of the sections below.

Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8, 9)

In Year 7, students learn about the elements of music and how they are used in a wide variety of different styles of music.  They learn how to use these elements in their own musical pieces and ways to notate their work.  Year 7 also enjoy the opportunity to learn techniques in playing the keyboard and using their own instruments in class.

In Year 8, students have the opportunity to learn about music from different cultures. This incorporates the history of countries and how this relates to the sound of the music. Students have the chance to experience music from all areas of the world such as Africa, Indonesia and the Caribbean. They use their previous knowledge of music writing to create music in a number of these different styles.

In Year 9, students are encouraged to expand their general knowledge of music by looking at the history of music and how it has changed and shaped the music we hear today. Students are encouraged to work more independently on their own music projects such as composing their own song or rap, but also enjoy the opportunity of working in groups to develop skills in new areas such as film music and improvisation.

 

Key Stage 4 (Years 10, 11)

The course is in three parts. A Listening examination related to 12 set works learnt throughout the course, two performances and two compositions. Controlled assessment is 60% of the final mark with the listening examination making the other 40%.

Sixth Form

Music and Music Tech are both offered at Key Stage 5.

Music

The AS qualification consists of the following three units:
Performing 
In this unit students are encouraged to develop their skills as a musical performer by playing a range of styles of music as a soloist and/or an ensemble member, using scores or improvising, as appropriate. 
Composing
Total of two compositions, one to a brief set by the exam board and one either free composition or also to a brief. Each composition must be at least two minutes in duration. Total time across both submissions must be a minimum of four minutes and 30 seconds
Appraising
The course explores knowledge and understanding of musical elements, contexts and language. Knowledge is applied through the context of six areas of study, each with two set works: vocal music, instrumental music, music for film, popular music and jazz, fusions and new directions.

The A level course follows a similar format to the AS course, which allows the students to develop their performing and composing skills and study new works in the final unit.

For more information about this subject at KS5, please click here to view the relevant subject leaflet at the bottom of the page.

Music Tech

Music technology underpins exceptionally creative, technical and thriving industries including music, film and TV, live sound and gaming. This is an excellent course for pupils who are truly passionate about music and enjoy using technology to produce, record and mix it.

For more information about this subject at KS5, please click here to view the relevant subject leaflet at the bottom of the page.