Google Services Notification
At St Bede’s School, we use G Suite for Education which is a set of education productivity tools from Google including Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Classroom and more, used by tens of millions of students and teachers around the world. Students will use their G Suite accounts to complete assignments, communicate with their teachers, sign into their Chromebooks, and learn 21st century digital citizenship skills.
The notice below provides answers to common questions about what Google can and can’t do with your child’s personal information, including:
- What personal information does Google collect?
- How does Google use this information?
- Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
- Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
- Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
Please read it carefully, and let us know of any questions. GSuite for Education is an essential tool in the ‘outstanding’ [Ofsted 2017] teaching and learning that takes place at St Bede’s.
G Suite for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their G Suite for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google (described at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
- All students have individual access to the following Google services: Gmail, Google Classroom (teacher managed resource sharing and communications based on timetabled classes), Google Drive (cloud based file storage), Calendar (showing their timetable), Docs, Sheets and Slides (cloud based word processing, spreadsheets and presentations), Keep (notes), Sites (website design), and Contacts (related to Gmail). Not all core services are provided to students.
- In addition, all students are also given access to Google Maps, My Maps, Youtube (filtered), Google Books and Google Photos. For technical reasons they also have access to Google Play (Apps and Media store).
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from G Suite for Education accounts in its G Suite for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html You should review this information in its entirety, but below are answers to some common questions:
What personal information does Google collect?
When creating a student account, St Bede's may provide Google with certain personal information about the student, including, for example, a name, email address, and password. Google may also collect personal information directly from students, such as telephone number for account recovery or a profile photo added to the G Suite for Education account. This latter information is not compulsory. Other personal information e.g. home address is not collected.
When a student uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
- device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
- log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user's Internet protocol (IP) address;
- location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
- unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
- cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
How does Google use this information?
In G Suite for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
In Google Additional Services, Google uses the information collected from all Additional Services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Google and its users. Google may also use this information to offer tailored content, such as more relevant search results. Google may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services.
Does Google use student personal information to target advertising?
No. For G Suite for Education users in primary and secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an G Suite for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an G Suite for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
We allow students to access Google services such as Google Docs and Sites, which include features where users can share information with others or publicly. When users share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including Google.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With parental or guardian consent (via the school IT Acceptable Use Policy). Google will share personal information as listed above with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent (for users below the age of consent), which may be obtained through G Suite for Education schools.
- With St Bede's School. G Suite for Education accounts, because they are school-managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
- For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the G Suite for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information -- such as trends about the use of its services -- publicly and with its partners.
You and your child can visit https://myaccount.google.com while signed in to the G Suite for Education account to view and manage the personal information and settings of the account.
What if I have more questions or would like to read further?
The Core G Suite for Education services are provided to St Bede’s under Google’s Apps for Education agreement (at https://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/education_terms.html) and the Data Processing Amendment (at https://www.google.com/intl/en/work/apps/terms/dpa_terms.html)].